Wednesday 28 December 2011

Day 37 - The day of the Nesquik porridge

Jonno mixing his porridge

Well, we survived our night out in the pitch black wilderness of Willow Park. Alex was in his element and slept like a log. Jonno and I didn't get a good night's sleep...I don't know what his excuse was but I forgot my pillow and although I had a sheet and towel replacement it didn't really make the cut and my neck was angry at me for the rest of the day. 

Enjoying the strawberry nesquick porridge
We headed up the hill and after the stomach lining of the cow was for dinner the night before I was doing a lot of questioning in my head to what we were in for at breakfast. On the menu was porridge. This is not the typical porridge you would see at home. Bernice poured a cup of dry powder on my plate and I didn't know if it was a joke or what. I kept moving on in the line and my dry powder was quickly joined with a cup of hot water. I turned and saw Alex mixing his plate and quickly caught on the I needed to mix my water and nesquik like powder together to make the porridge. I don't know if it was my mixing skills or what but the porridge tasted good! If I had to explain it was like strawberry nesquik flavoured sadza. We also had two BIG watermelons left over from the Christmas party so we took one out for morning tea. Well, like the Christmas party the eating of watermelon quickly turned into another big watermelon fight where Jonno and I came off second best. 

Kimberley and Memory feeding Jonno watermelon
Today was also Lisa's 16th birthday. For all of you committed blog readers out there you would know from previous blogs of the birthday tradition out at SJC. The birthday girl is drenched in buckets of very dirty water from the rest of the girls. Lisa did everything she could to avoid it. From jumping out her window and running to the babies home to walking around holding a little baby as an insurance policy to stop the tradition. Well, she didn't succeed...The baby was removed from her arms and she gave up from running being rewarded with buckets of water mixed with grass, dirt and anything else that could be found. 

Lisa's first birthday present
After Lisa washed herself off we headed home where she was spoilt with gifts that didn't involve buckets of dirty water being thrown on her. Lisa said this has been the best birthday she has had so far. After a bit more of a slow paced afternoon we headed of to the Wawn's for a bri (barbecue). After some tennis, pool, table tennis and soccer we were all pretty hungry and ready for dinner. The food was seriously amazing and I'm pretty sure we all left there a few kilo's heavier. 




Our trip is almost over, which is hard to believe. With under 4 weeks to go our time in Zim has flown and is quickly passing by. We've done so much but at the same time it feels like so little. Thanks so much for being a part of our journey through the blog. You've stuck by us for so long now, don't stop now! 

Andy 

3 comments:

  1. At last I now have your blog site so David and I can follow along, even it is nearly at the end of your journey. Sounds like you are having a blast, especially the different kinds of food. You are an amazing young man with lots of courage. Take care.

    love Dave and Neve

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really loving and enjoying the experience
    with you all thanks again for the blog missing you all take care

    love Mum (Desleigh) & Dad (Neil)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovin your storys cuz...read em every day!!! be safe...geoffro

    ReplyDelete