Thursday 1 December 2011

Day 10

Today was another bright and sunny day in Bulawayo. Fortunately it wasn't as hot as yesterday.

Roda - One of the lovely ladies working at the village

Alex teaching the girls guitar
After a couple of hectic days today was much more laid back. Jonno and Alex headed out to the pool shop to get some acid and chlorine for the pool while I stayed at home preparing my sermon for Sunday night. A journey into town is always an adventure and never the same in Zim. Alex was pulled over on the way into town and then again on the way out and spilt Hydrochloric acid in the car between the pool shop and home leaving their sense of smell a bit worse for wear.

The venue for yesterdays concert



Once the boys had made it back from their little adventure and they shared about their poor luck during their journey we headed out once again to the village. We played a few games with the girls (I avoided games that involved balls being thrown at you this time) including a game similar to wink murder. I am ALWAYS accused of cheating in every game I play...well now I finally fit in. These girls struggle to play games without cheating, which suits me just fine! Especially games that involves closing eyes, none of them can do it!



Divine PRETENDING to drive the bus
I don't know how it started but Samantha and I got into a water fight. It started with a little splash of water here and there and it soon ended up everyone against me. Needless to say I lost...and Sam and the girls made sure I went home dripping wet. Jonno taught the girls limbo, where the girls showed us how flexible they are. After only 3 days teaching Divine, Bernice and Amanda guitar, by the end of today Alex had them playing through a whole song all by themselves. They are progressing so quickly and doing a great job! We left the village with two extra people. One we knew about and one we didn't. Lisa was coming home with us for the holidays but Samantha somehow squeezed herself between the backseats and the boot. Thanks to her squealing it didn't take long for us to notice she was there. So, we now have another girl in the house. That now makes 8 girls (Gogo, Prisca, Deb, Stef, Madi, Bekky, Christie and Lisa) to us 5 guys (Alex, Jonno, Khulu, Zachary and myself).

After a few hours at the village we made our way home. Our bad luck hadn't run out. I got pulled over at the roadbloock between SJCV and home for my first time. The police officer asked to see my licence. I showed him both my drivers licence and my international drivers licence. He stared at them both for sometime shook his head made a funny noise and handed them back to me and let me go. I didn't think my drivers licence photo was that bad but I guess it doesn't matter, we made it through the roadblock.

We all headed to Des and Pete's (good friends of Deb) for a super roast dinner, which was a great way to end the day. It was good to have a bit more of a relaxed day because I have a feeling that things are only going to get busier and busier the longer we are here. We have done so much already and are really really excited about the ever-growing amount of opportunities that are arising every day to serve the great people of Zimbabwe and more importantly the God who brings us together.

Thanks for your support and prayers,

Andy

3 comments:

  1. You'll have to give Lisa some driving lessons. "Learning to drive" is one of her life ambitions, and something that we didn't get time to do while we were there.

    Sounds like you're having a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW that Divine is one smart cookie ... she speaks 2 (or 3?) languages fluently, and then learned sign language for the Thanksviving service.

    But you wouldn't expect any less of a Taylor ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you guys are having a great time! Enjoying reading your posts. All the best for the sermon this weekend Andy! Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete