Sunday 4 December 2011

Day 13

Alex showing the boys how to use the egg-timer
Today we woke up to an all too familiar overcast sky. In saying that we woke up at a very unfamiliar time for a Sunday. Church started at 10am so to be able to sleep in on a Sunday morning was a welcomed change to the early mornings that we are use to at home, and we really needed the sleep. 

My mates Tando and David
Church was an experience to say the least. By Australian standards we were running late, but by African standards were still fairly early. We arrived at church 10 minutes late to a packed out service and we struggled to find a seat. The worship is where things got interesting. Before I go on, I mean know disrespect to the worship leader at all because from all the people I have spoken to he is a great man of God...In saying that I don't think worship leading is his gift. He struggled to hold a tune as well as any structure to the songs to the point where we had no idea what was going on. Alex referred it to the Mr Beans Hallelujah skit. I was VERY close to laughing out loud. I felt really bad that I was nearly laughing in church so had to turn to Alex and Jonno to see if there was actually anything to laugh about. I turned to my left where Jonno was holding his head lower than usual in an attempt to hide a rather large smile. I then turned to Alex who had one of the biggest grins I have ever seen and was moments away from bursting out in laughing. This didn't help me in my attempt to subdue my smirking and in all honestly was very close to walk out of the service to regain composure. Turns out Alex was in the same boat. 
Jonno 'helping' cook dinner at SJCV

After church we headed home for the family lunch, which included donuts from Haefilies (One of the best bakeries ever). Alex did some more work on the pool, Jonno had a nap and I did some more work on my sermon. Soon enough it was time to head out to church again. I was given the opportunity to speak tonight, which I thank Pastor Jeff for giving me the chance to share. I had a blast and really enjoyed speaking to such a welcoming and relaxed group of people. Thanks for all those who were praying for me. 


Preaching at Bulawayo Baptist youth service
Our 'mega' pizza which needed two plates. 

After church we were invited out to our second home (Haefilies) where Alex, Jonno, Lisa and I shared a MEGA pizza from the Pizza inn (just next door to Haefilies). Alex and I were still feeling guilty about laughing during worship in church today at this point. Thankfully with us at Haefilies was the worship pastor of the church. He asked us what we thought of the worship from this mornings service. At this point I wasn't sure whether to be honest and tell him it was pretty bad or tell a white lie and say it was alright. I went with the Christian response and told him the truth. Well...they all broke out in laughter and completely agreed with us. It turns out we weren't the only ones laughing during the service this morning, which made us feel a lot less guilty!! 

It seems every time we go out and meet new people we are roped into more and more stuff. This week is filling up quickly with worship practises, ultimate frisby and many more visits out to the girls and boys at SJCV. 


Thanks again for your continued support and prayers. We are loving the opportunity of sharing our journey with you through the blog. 

Andy

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day Andrew. Am loving reading the blog with my morning coffee. Funny thing, it wasn't here when I first checked this morning??? Must have been an internet glitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does this mean that you'll be leading worship next week ..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for being honest I say! Mind you, I find it hard to beleive that there exists an African who struggles to hold a tune and rythmn?! I thought they were ALL blessed with that. anyway, hope your sermon went well. Keep up the good work y'all.

    ReplyDelete