Thursday 26 January 2012

I have always been one to have the last word and this time is no different.  I felt it was important that  I also contributed my thoughts on the "African Escapades of Alex, Andrew and Jonno."    Besides I would hate for my younger sister to have nothing to read with her morning coffee tomorrow!!

I was supposed to do this last night but I was too miserable.  I guess that is one strike against me!!  Everyone in the Brennocks family walked around with long faces yesterday and the dinner table was certainly a sober affair.

Each child got to share what they liked about "the boys".  Christy they said "they gave her lots of sweets".  Thanks guys.  Which one of you is planning to pay the dental bill!  Becky said "I just loved all of them" and then broke into a half hour prayer for each one.  Remember when she said grace before supper guys!!!  She can be very longwinded.  Maddie said "They were great fun"  Stefi said "They were cool" and Lisa said "I loved everything about them."

I then asked myself what did I like about the boys?  That's difficult to answer without making this blog into a thesis.  I, like Lisa, loved everything about them.   I loved their enthusiasm, and obvious love for life.  I loved that they grabbed every opportunity with open arms.  I loved their compassion for the kids at the Sandra Jones Centre.  I loved the way they were so patient with my kids.   I loved their generosity and their servant's hearts. Nothing was too much trouble and they were always willing to do anything asked of them.  I loved their energy and sense of humour.

I loved their positive spirits.  I never heard them grumble or complain, I never heard them criticise, or whine.  Everything was done with a smile and it was obvious that their lives overflowed with joy.

They reminded me yet again that it doesn't matter what colour you are, or how old, or where you've come from..you can make a difference in a child's life.





But what I loved most of all, was the journey they took me on, back to the time when I was their age.  They reminded me of three best friends who did everything togther.  I could see in them that same passion that we had to serve the Lord....to be totally sold out for Him.  I was reminded of a time when we too believed that nothing was impossible.

 I was reminded that life was meant to be enjoyed.    I remembered what it was like to laugh, to share, and to just enjoy being with my closest friends.  I was reminded of what was really important...family, friends and of course,  the Lord.  It was a wonderful journey guys.  Thanks for the ride!!!

I know many of you will be wondering what I learned from the boys .

Well,  I learned that lounge chairs are meant to be climbed over and not walked around.  I learned that a pool is only useful for throwing people in.  I learned that that greatest thing on this earth is toffee syrup and that it goes with everything.  I learned that watching Fringe is a great way to spend a morning when one doesn't have a vehicle.  I am sure all these life lessons will prove to be very valuable in years to come!!!!

In closing I would like to say to their parents, The Taylors, The Robbins and The Lees...well done!!  You have remarkable sons who you can be so proud of.  You have obviously done an amazing job bringing them up and left me with a true example of christian parenting.  I hope I can live up to the standard you have set with these three young men.

To those who choose to come after them, beware!  The guys have set an extremely high standard for all future short term missionaries.

And finally to the boys...you were a breath of a fresh air in all our lives.  You left your mark in Zimababwe and I am incredibly proud of you!   We love you, and miss you already. When are you coming back?

Debbie


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, great blog. We are also proud of them and no you can't keep them! They are for borrowing only. It is great to have them home and we are looking forward to hearing more of their adventures.
    That takes care of coffee time today, but what am I going to do tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Saturday and I'll be home tomorrow. Perhaps you could talk to me over coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about role reversal, I get to read the blog over breakfast now. Thanks very much Debbie. Already missing everyone. Say 'hi' to all the kids and lisa as well! see ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Deb. Shame you're on one strike now...beware, they go quicky! Missing you all a lot and can't wait to see you in April!

    ReplyDelete